by Cindi McMenamin @CindiMcMenamin
…In your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. Psalm 139:16 NASB
It’s easy to feel right now that the world is spinning out of control. Disease runs rampant. The economy is struggling. Our fears or concerns mount. Yet, our God has it all under control. He has the world – and all who are in it – in the palm of His hand.
Psalm 139 tells us how intimately acquainted God is with all of our ways. Not only does that verse tell us God has searched us and known us and that He knows our every whereabout, but it also says He protects us.
“You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me” (verse 5).
What peace there is in knowing God is here with us in the dark, in the light, waking up, going to sleep, going out, and coming in.
Psalm 139 reminds me that I never need to worry about anything concerning my life or the lives of those I love, because of God’s ever-present watchfulness. From Psalm 139 alone, I am assured that God is One who:
- searches us and knows us from the inside out (verse 1)
- knows our every action and thought (verses 2-3)
- knows what we will say before we say it (verse 4)
- “encircles” us and places His hand of protection upon us (verse 5)
- follows us everywhere we go – or stays with us when we can’t go anywhere (verses 8-12)
- formed us and watched over us while we were in the womb (verses 13-15)
- wrote out our life story in His book before we even lived it – meaning even this time of quarantine doesn’t take Him by surprise (verse 16)
- thinks innumerable thoughts of us (verses 17-18)
- knows our concerns and anxieties – especially during uncertain days like these (verse 23)
- convicts us of our offenses and leads us in the right direction (verse 24)
That Psalm reminds me that God is intimately acquainted with us and our loved ones. And He is aware of what is going on in the hearts and lives of those we can’t be with on a daily basis. It assures me that there is nothing I can do, and no place I can go where His love doesn’t follow. That means there is never a reason to worry or feel alone. I am safe – and you are safe – in the palm of His hand.
God knows every detail of the paths we walk, the decisions we make, the words we say and the actions we take. He also knows every detail about the world we live in. He will never let us out of His sight or out of His heart.
Lord, thank You that You know the condition of this world and the condition of my heart. Thank You that Your love follows me everywhere I go and I am safe and secure in the palm of Your hand.
About the author: Cindi McMenamin is an award-winning writer and national speaker who helps women strengthen their relationship with God and others. She is the author of 17 books including her best-selling When Women Walk Alone (more than 145,000 copies sold), God’s Whispers to a Woman’s Heart, and Drama Free: Finding Peace When Emotions Overwhelm You. For more on her books and resources to strengthen your soul, marriage, and parenting, or for more information on her coaching services to help you write the book on your heart, see her website: www.StrengthForTheSoul.com.
Join the conversation: Which truth from Psalm 139 means the most to you this morning?